Thursday 20 October 2011

Setting up the lighting

As my first shoot was in studio with official studio lights, I was able to set the lighting up in a professional way. As I am also a photography student, we have previously studied studio lighting and creating a professional look through three point lighting.

Three point Lighting
Three point lighting is a set up of lights used in film and photography where the use of three studio lights allows the director or the photographer to control the amount of shadow created by direct lighting onto the subject. This helps studio producers in film and media massively as the presence of shadows often is unwanted, and this is the solution to setting up the lighting correctly. Below is an example diagram of standard three point lighting and is exactly how I managed to set the lighting for my first filming session in the photography studio.

The Lighting set up, Two of the lights.

The Other light in my set up.

The Reflector
When coming to shoot my music video, I also borrowed the light reflector from my photography teacher. The reflector's purpose is to re-direct light to a specific area, subject or scene. The reflector that I used in my music video is gold and reflective. This directly bounces light onto the reflector and bounces the light to the subject and also warms the colour giving a glowing effect.
This is my Reflector.
After setting up the lighting structure, I checked a few times that all the shadows were definitely eliminated, and finally I managed to get to my final set up!
The Final Lighting set up.
As you can see, all shadow is eliminated!

No comments:

Post a Comment