Thursday 13 October 2011

Hair and Makeup Moodboard

When I come to have to design the makeup and hair for my actress (Alice), I wanted to make sure i knew exactly the style I am aiming for. To do this, I decided to create a mood board of stills from a variety of female artists within the R&B genre. This will helo me discover the conventions of RnB artists.

Make-up
With the exception of Ciara (Top Left screenshot) where she is wearing heavier eyeliner, the make up used in RnB all appears very natural. Occasionally, some of the artists appear to use a more obvious lip colouring or gloss such as Alexis Jordan (Top Right image). Some of the artists also appear to have slightly heavier eyeshadow such as Tulisa Contostavlos from N-Dubz (Square centre screenshot).

Now I have analysed other female artists from RnB genre, I can begin to plan my make up styles. from my four different scenes/Costumes, I have gone for very different feels. For my more 'Backstreet' themed scenes, I want to be a bit more adventurous with the make up, and use quite dark colours around the eyes (Could potentially signify more dangerous/living on the edge/rough styling?). For my more 'Glam' scenes, i want to use very natural make up styles to keep in theme with the costume.

Hair Styling
Throughout the mood board, where hair styles come into the frame, they either seem to have Straight or curly hair. Another observation is that they all have their hair out of their faces, with the exception of Alexandra Burke, they all have subtle fringes. All of the artists have medium to long hair.

Luckily, Alice's hair is very good for this style. She has a subtle fringe and long hair which keeps in theme with the other R&B artists. I plan to use both curly hair and straight hair for Alice in two different scenes. The curly hair I shall use in the 'Backstreet' styled scenes, and straight hair for the 'Glam' styled scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment