Thursday 20 October 2011

The first shoot!

Lights, Camera, Action!
Today, I completed my first shoot for my music video. Although not everything went totally to plan, I do think that I definitely have got some footage to edit into my music video.

As I had already set the scene up before the actual shoot, we did definitely save a lot of time rather than having to set the scene up and shoot it all within the 50 minutes. Once Alice had come to meet me in the Studio, she began to get changed into costume as I finalised the lighting set up which again saved time. When we began to film the shoots, I did feel slightly under prepared as although I did have my shot list of exactly the style I wanted, I didn't plan the way we were going to film it. In my head, I thought it would be easiest to run through the song three or four times with Alice doing a different style of choreography each time and then some short clips of close ups. However this plan did not go well as Alice and I both did not know the lyrics well enough and confidently enough to sing the song the whole way through. After realising that our plan was not going to work, we began to shoot short bursts of lyric, roughly 4 or 5 lines of the song at a time which Alice felt more comfortable with as she could remember the lyric and it was also much easier to manage. Once we had got the hang of a system that was working well, we were cracking it well however the period of time that took up experimenting how we were going to film the shoot did take up a big percentage of our time.

Outcome
My aim was initially to 'Gain five minutes of good quality, solid footage in which I can begin editing'. Although we did have dificaulties, I do think we did nearly achieve this. However it is hard to tell as I have a lot of short clips and long clips where some of which is not useable.

Things went well
  • Setting up the scene and studio before I shot the footage did work very well as it helped massively to know that the scene was set up exactly the way I wanted before the video.
  • The knowledge and research of the lighting and all of the costume, make up etc enabled exactly what I wanted and exactly how to do it as we had previously had photographed Alice in full makeup and costume.
Things to improve
  • Physically split the song into 4 or 5 sections of lyrics and save each file onto my Iphone so it will be easier for Alice to mime well.
  • Have more of a plan of exactly what types of choreography and dance moves I would like Alice to do.
A Shot of me Filming the Scene.
Again, Me filming Alice.
Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment