Friday 7 October 2011

Existing RnB Artists Album Covers

When I started to think about my Digipak more, I wanted to gain some more inspiration for other artists and their CD covers. As you can see below, i have gathered together a selection of cd covers from a lot of different artists, mainly female RnB artists, and took each of them a CD cover to look further into.

My Observations of RnB CD Covers
One main thing that I have noticed about RnB styled artists is the use of typography which styles around the artist, and also features as a main part of the cd cover. For example, the Alesha Dixon and Beyonce features a big text stating the artist name in a unique font that tends to be carried on throughout the other albums for the artists. A good example of this is JLS's typography that has now even become more of a logo throughout all of their albums and merchandise.
Another observation I have noticed it the fairly simple look which involves just the artist's name/trademark font/style, and a photograph of the actual artist, usually a close up or even extreme close up shot. The photograph of the artist usually shows the artist fully made up and looking to perfection (Or Photoshoped!). This helps to sell the artist through face recognition and uses the artists face as a marketing form. I would like to try this for my CD cover as I think its a definite characteristic of an female RnB artist's CD cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment