Thursday 15 September 2011

Choosing a Music Track

Today, we were set the task of listening to all 23 Music tracks which we must choose from set by Mr Wallis, Our Media Teacher. I started from the first track and wrote notes for each track about the genre, how suited the style of music was to me and my personal tastes, how challenging the song would be to create a video and also how suitable the song would be to make a music video with the resources I have, For example a 'Rock Band' type song would be more difficult as i do not know a 'Band' i could film for the video.
CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO ALL THE SONGS

Before i listened to the songs, I had in mind the type of song I wanted. Prefrably I wanted a female artist, as the majority of my friends are females, and it would be much easier to source a female actor than male, and I also wanted a contempary song with either a Pop, R'n'B or Hip-Hop genre as these are my favourite genres of music. Eventually, after sifting through all the songs, I managed to narrow it down to my top 3 according to my prefrences.

3rd Favourite song
The song here has a very nice vocal to it as it has a slow tempo which gives time for good vocals. However this song has a very slow pace to it which was initially my problem with the song. I had trouble also choosing a genre for the song, as it doesn't have a definitive characteristics of any specific genre. However it does have the female vocals that I wanted. Overall, this is how i scored the song:
Vocals: 8/10
Music Tempo: 3/10
Good Genre: 3/10
General Suitability: 5/10
Personal Likeability: 4/10
Overall Score: 23/50
Track 9 (mp3)

2nd Favourite song
This song has great vocals as they are quirky and unique, however it can be hard to understand what the artist is saying meaning that lip syncing would be difficult. The music tempo is upbeat and faster meaning that editing clips together in time with the music would be easier. The genre is a Indie which isn't my favourite genre, however I do think that Indie music would be good to make a video to. The suitabilitys is good as it is a female artist meaning I can easily recruit female artists. Overall, I like the song a lot.
Vocals: 6/10
Music Tempo: 8/10
Good Genre: 7/10
General Suitability: 6/10
Personal Likeability: 6/10
Overall Score: 33/50
Track 4 (mp3)

1st Favourite song
The Vocals in this song are very very good as you can clearly hear what she sing as well as a good contempary feel to them. The music tempo has a good speed and i can easily imagine a good edit to go with it. The Genre is obviously R'n'B as there are a lot of characteristics which are easily noticable. They have female vocals which means I can also recruit easily. Overall, I really love the song.
Vocals: 9/10
Music Tempo: 8/10
Good Genre: 10/10
General Suitability: 8/10
Personal Likeability: 9/10
Overall Score: 44/50
Track 17 (mp3)

However, I was unaware that each song was only assigned to one person, so my first choice song had sadly been given to somebody else. At this point, I asked if my teacher could source another song very similar to my first choice, and this is what he came up with! I am very happy with my song as it is the correct genre i wanted, as well as being a great song to work with and eventually make a video!
Heres the Final Song:
Track 24 (mp3)

No comments:

Post a Comment